Skip to Main Content

My First Birth


Twenty years ago today I became a Mama. It's hard to believe that it's been that long, but I remember it clearly. On April 9, 1999, I woke up to some bloody show and I started to have some contractions. I was scared because I thought something was wrong. I had never took a childbirth class and no one told me what to expect. I called my OB and they had me come in. Once I saw them they said I was in the early stages, but I wasn't having consistent contractions and there was a tornado that had just come through the area. The hospital was on back-up generators and were only taking emergencies. I went home and did a lot of walking. I ate spicy food. Nothing seemed to work. 


The next day I woke up and felt fine. No contractions or no bloody show. I felt so good I made a big breakfast; french toast, bacon and sausage. I had a lot of energy. My OB called to see how I was doing. I told him I was fine and feeling great. He said by the sounds of it he would bet he'll see me later in the evening. I thought he was crazy!


My nephew had been born two days earlier on April 8th. My sister and him had just come home from the hospital. I decided to go to the mall to get them a coming home gift. While I was at the mall I got some Chick-fil-A. As I was standing in line I had the worst contraction, but I kept going. Once I was at my sister's house I was getting more and more contractions. My mom put me in the car to take me to the hospital. My sister called my husband at the time, and the doctor. 


Everything seemed to happen so fast. I arrived at the hospital around 6pm and they took me to a labor and delivery room. They started me on pitocin and broke my waters. As time went on my mom and husband were taking turns getting me cold washcloths & heat pack for my back. It seemed like all my contractions were in my back. The anesthesiologist came in to go over things for an epidural. I told her that I was not getting an epidural. I remember to this day she said, "Oh I'm sure you will". She kept coming back in ever 30 mins or so asking if I wanted an epidural. Around 10pm I told my mom that I didn't want an epidural and to keep the anesthesiologist out because I was afraid I would say yes. 


At 11:25pm it was show time. As I was pushing I was told I was getting an episiotomy. Honestly, I had no clue what they were talking about, but I would later. Baby boy Joshua Michael was born at 11:37pm, weighing 9 pounds 7 ounces. I could not believe that I became a Mama.  I felt this strong connection when he was born and then even more when they were completing the apguard test and he was screaming. I started talking to him across the room and he stopped crying. He knew I was there and I would protect him.


I never had skin to skin contact like Mama's do now. He was given a bath before we left the room, had ointment in his eyes and shots. Some of them are things that I wish now I could have changed.  I didnt realize I had options, I didnt have a birth plan and I didnt know what a doula was.  I think this is just one reason why I am following my dream of being a doula. To help those Mama's who aren't sure what they want and maybe don't even realize they have options.  I want families to have the experience they desire.


Happy Birthday baby boy!  I have loved you before I even met you and always will!

loading gif