The Importance of a Strong Support Network During Pregnancy and Childbirth
The Importance of a Strong Support Network During Pregnancy and Childbirth
Pregnancy can be a difficult time in a mama's life. Her body is quickly changing, her hormones can sometimes fluctuate, and she is responsible for a life growing inside of her. That is enough to make anyone stressed out, no matter how emotionally secure they are.
One of the most important things for every pregnant mama is developing and maintaining a strong support network. A support network will help you manage the trials of pregnancy, will be there for you during childbirth, and will be there long after to help you and your baby start a healthy life together.
Your support network can include anyone you can count on for emotional or physical support. Mama's support networks can include a partner, a parent, a sibling, a relative, a friend, a neighbor, a doula, a therapist, or anyone else. The members of your support network are determined by who you are as a person and who you feel close to.
In this post, we will discuss the importance of a strong support network during pregnancy and childbirth, including the psychological and physical benefits of a support network and how to build and maintain a support network. Keep reading to learn more!
Different Types of Ethical Support Networks During Pregnancy
During pregnancy and childbirth, having a strong support network in place is crucial for the physical and emotional well-being of the expectant mother. Various types of ethical support networks can provide essential assistance and care during this transformative period.
Firstly, friends and family play a vital role in offering emotional support and practical help to pregnant women. Their presence and understanding can alleviate anxiety and provide a safe space for sharing concerns or discussing childbirth experiences.
Secondly, doulas and midwives are trained professionals who provide physical and emotional support throughout pregnancy, childbirth, and even the postpartum period. These individuals offer guidance, education, and continuous care during labor, helping to reduce complications.
In addition, postpartum depression groups can be beneficial for women who may experience depressive symptoms during or after pregnancy. These support groups provide a safe environment for sharing experiences, receiving guidance, and finding solace in the company of others who may be facing similar challenges.
The Psychological Benefits of a Strong Support Network
Having a strong support network during pregnancy and childbirth yields many psychological benefits. Mental resilience is extremely important for pregnant mamas because better mental health often aligns with a better quality of life and reduced depression during pregnancy.
- Strong support networks can help to reduce stress levels. Pregnancy can be a time of many physical and emotional changes, and having a network of people who can offer support and understanding can make a significant difference. It allows pregnant women to share their worries, concerns, and joys with others who can empathize and provide reassurance.
- Strong support networks can contribute to improved mental well-being. Pregnancy can bring about a range of emotions, and having people who are there to listen, offer advice, and validate experiences can help alleviate feelings of isolation and stress.
- Strong support networks can increase confidence in parenting abilities. Pregnancy is a time of learning and preparing for the arrival of a new baby, and having people who can share their experiences, offer guidance, and provide practical help is important. A little support from loved ones can boost a woman's confidence in her ability to navigate the challenges of parenting.
What is holistic prenatal care? Learn more here!
The Physical Benefits of a Strong Support Network
During pregnancy and childbirth, having a strong support network can provide numerous physical benefits for expectant mothers. We often think of support networks as more geared towards helping mama's emotions, but there are numerous other benefits we can see with our eyes.
- A healthy support network promotes better adherence to ethical medical advice. With a support system in place, pregnant mamas are more likely to follow their healthcare provider's recommendations, such as attending regular check-ups, taking prescribed medications, and adopting healthy lifestyle habits. This leads to improved overall health and reduces the risk of complications.
- A supportive network also plays a crucial role in ensuring lower rates of complications during pregnancy and childbirth. Loved ones can provide practical assistance and emotional support, helping to reduce stress and anxiety levels. This, in turn, can positively impact the overall well-being of the expectant mama, potentially reducing the chances of gestational diabetes, preterm births, and other pregnancy-related complications.
- A strong support network contributes to faster postpartum recovery. Friends and family members can lend a helping hand with household chores, cooking meals, and caring for the newborn, allowing mama to focus on healing and bonding with her baby. This assistance enhances the physical recovery process and enables women to regain their strength more quickly.
What is the importance of movement during pregnancy? This blog has the answer!
How to Build a Strong, Ethical Support Network
Now that we understand the benefits of having an ethical support network, let's talk about how mamas can build a support network to help them through pregnancy and beyond!
- Identify Your Needs. Before you go looking for support from others, decide for yourself what it is you need as a mama. Spend some time doing some self-reflection and try to imagine what a support network could do to help you. What kind of support do you need? Are you going through emotional woes? Maybe you need help getting up and down the stairs or need a hand cooking dinner. Decide what kind of support you need and who could provide this support.
- Reach Out! Reaching out for help is essential, as no one can go through the journey of pregnancy and childbirth alone. Many times, mamas are afraid to ask for support. However, it is important to remember that seeking help is a sign of strength and resourcefulness. There are many people in your life who want to help and support you, think of some people who can help and send them a call or text asking if they can help.
- Maintain Your Network. This step can sometimes be the hardest. As a pregnant mama, some days the last thing you want to do is text a friend or pick up the phone and call a relative. However, you need to remember that communication should be kept open and reciprocal. Regularly engaging with family, friends, and healthcare providers helps to build positive relationships and strengthen the support network. Sharing concerns, fears, and joys with others can alleviate stress and promote emotional well-being. Find the times when you are feeling strong and use it to connect with people in your support network to strengthen your bond.
Doula Support in Cincinnati and Dayton from Stork Helpers
Getting the support, you need during pregnancy is not always easy. Sometimes those closest to us are not capable of being there for us when we need them. Sometimes our loved ones may lack the knowledge we need for peace of mind.
For pregnant mamas looking for extra support during their pregnancies, a doula may be the answer. Doulas are like a guide on your pregnancy journey. They have helped other mamas navigate the same path you are on now, and though your journey may be unique, doulas can give you the information and wisdom you need to overcome your fiercest challenges.
If you are looking for a doula in the Cincinnati or Dayton area, then Stork Helpers is here for you. Tamara and Skylar have helped dozens of mamas navigate their pregnancy journey, and we are here for you too! Click here to start a conversation with the Stork Helpers doulas now!
For more pregnancy tips and support, follow Stork Helpers on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn!
Happy with the difference Stork Helpers made in your birth journey? Leave us a quick five-star review here!