Placenta encapsulation is the process of steaming, dehydrating and grinding the placenta into a powder and placing it into pills to be ingested by the postpartum person for possible health benefits. While there is limited scientific research surrounding this topic, holistic practitioners have touted the benefit of consuming the placenta for centuries.
On average, you will receive 100-150 capsules, based on the size of placenta. Your placenta will be completed within 48 hours of birth and your pills will be delivered to you within 3-5 days after birth.
Placenta encapsulation services are discounted for clients who have also chosen Stork Helpers to be their birth doula at a discounted price of $225.
Helps Balance Postpartum Hormones
Stabilize Hormones After Birth
During the pregnancy the placenta produces stress fighting hormones. Once the placenta is no longer present, it can take months for the brain and body to level out the hormones. During this time, the instability can cause depressive symptoms.
By ingesting the placenta after birth, the mother is reintroducing these vital hormones to her body, until her brain signals its own production and can level it out on its own.
Energy to do what you need to do.
The placenta postpartum is rich in iron. It is estimated that up to 50% of US citizens have some form of low iron or anemia. Replenishing so much blood, rich in iron, after birth is a large task to take on. Having low iron often results in lower hormone levels, fatigue, lack of concentration and depressive symptoms. In studies, women with postpartum depression given iron supplements improved greatly.
Increased Milk Production
The reason placenta pills are thought to help with production of breast milk is because the placenta is packed with valuable nutrients and hormones that have been linked to increasing milk supply, including:
- Estrogen, progesterone and testosterone, all hormones that aid in the development of the mammary glands and help to prepare the breasts for lactation.
- Prolactin, which is the key hormone that is responsible for the production of breast milk.
Dereases Postpartum "Baby Blues"
80% of mothers experience it in the first days and weeks after giving birth. Because it is so common, nothing is typically done about it until it worsens into a diagnosis of postpartum depression, at which time anti-depressants may be prescribed.
However, anti-depressants are passed to the baby through breastmilk, and mothers who do not want to expose their babies to these medications are often faced with the decision to either stop breastfeeding or struggle with depression.
Placenta Encapsulation may assist you with the "baby blues" without having to pass anti-depressants to your baby.
Receive Nutrients from Placenta
The placenta holds many nutrients that can still be used to benefit you after birth as your body heals.
- Stem Cells and Growth Factors
- Iron – essential for oxygen absorption in the cells
- vitamins B6 – aids in the making of antibodies
- Vitamin E – for healing damaged skin cells
- Oxytocin hormone – essential for facilitating birth and breastfeeding
- Corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) – responsible for reducing stress levels
- Cytokins – Fibroblasts that trigger cell metabolism healing and replacing damaged cells and tissue
- Oxytocin- The feel good or love hormone. Creates feelings of bonding, pain relief, happiness and elation.
- Cortisone- This hormone unlocks energy stored in the body and combats stress. (cortisol)
- Interferon- This hormones stimulates the immune system to fight off infections while the mother is healing from birth.
- Prostaglandins- Acts as an anti-inflammatory.
- Hemoglobin- Replenishes iron, stimulates iron production in blood.
- Urokinase inhibiting factor and factor XIII- Lessens bleeding and promotes faster healing.
- Prolactin- Stimulates healthy mammary function and milk production.
Add Flavored Capsules for $15
Want flavored capsules instead? Choose from the following:
Add Tinctures for $20/bottle
Placenta tincture is the most effective way to preserve your placenta for long term use. The tincture process preserves some of your placenta in high quality drinking grade alcohol. After six weeks of curing, your tincture will gain its potency.
It can assist with hormonal changes and boost the immune system during times of transition, assist with menstrual cycles, menopause and even thyroid issues.
Add a Salve for $20/bottle
Placenta salve is a topical way to enjoy the benefits of placenta. The placenta is extremely rich in stem cells, T-cells, vitamins, hormones and nutrients. It has fantastic anti-inflammatory properties. Your placenta is infused in a safe, all purpose herbal salve.
The salve can be used for, chaffing, perineal tears, hemorrhoids, your c-section scar after 2 weeks of healing, burns, eczema, sun burn and other skin irritations. For topical use ONLY- Not meant for ingestion.
Placenta Print / Canvas
$15 / $30
A handcrafted print of your placenta is a magnificent way to remember your pregnancy and birth journey.
Your placenta is hand printed onto Fine Artist's Paper or a canvas using your choice of either the natural coloring of the placenta or confectionary coloring.
Information about Safety Protocols
Safety is important!
You can trust that your placenta is in good hands. You'll know there is zero risk of cross-contamination. Tamara is certified in safe food handling protocols and in bloodborne pathogen prevention protocols. You can rest easy, knowing that your capsules contain only your pure placenta.
Are there risks to placenta encapsulation?
Do your research.
Research suggests there is limited risk of ingestion by the postpartum person. Occasionally people have experienced jitteriness or dizziness after taking the pills and proper care needs to be taken prior to encapsulation to store the placenta properly to ensure safety. If you observe any negative effects, you should discontinue and consult your provider about whether continuing is the right choice for you.